Auto insurance carriers are paying out more and more in auto claims. These increases affect the entire insurance industry.
4 Key Factors Driving Up Costs:
- More Miles Driven
Americans drove 3.22 trillion miles in 2016, a record high.
- More Crashes
Deadly crashes spiked 7.2% from 2014 to 2015. In 2015, distracted driving claimed 3,477 lives and injured 391,000 people.
- More Distractions
19% of the time, drivers are distracted by a phone. About 660,000 drivers use an electronic device while driving. Texting and driving increases the chance of being involved in a collision by 23 times.
Distracted Driving Accounts For:
- More than $10 billion in property damage.
- More than 1.5 million collisions in the U.S., resulting in more than 300,000 injuries and more than 3,000 fatalities.
- On average, 9 Americans die every day from distracted driving.
- More Expensive Car Tech
More people own new cars with advanced safety features designed to protect drivers, passengers and pedestrians. These safety features add mightily to repair cost, even for a minor accident. For instance, the cost of a windshield/headlight repair jumped 63% from 2013 to 2017 for one car model.
Did You Know?
Your independent agent can craft the right coverage for your needs while fitting your budget.
Contact your agent to be sure you're getting all the right discounts and coverages as a valued Selective customer:
- Account Credit: Get discounts on your auto and homeowners policies if you have Selective coverage for both.
- Paid-in-Full Discount: Pay lower premiums with annual or semiannual payments.
- Full Glass Coverage: Keep a $0 glass deductible, but choose a higher deductible on comprehensive coverage to reduce premium.
- Affinity/Occupational Discounts: Get a discount if you are a medical or educational professional (and a firefighter discount is available in some states).
- Good Student: Gain a 15% discount for good students (16-25) with a B+ average GPA or better.
- Driver Training: Get a discount if drivers 21 years or younger finish classroom and behind-the-wheel training.
- Defensive Driving: Get a 5% credit for drivers 55 years or older who complete a safety course.
- Company Car: Reduce premium if there is a company car in the household (insured by any company).
Automatically included with your Selective auto policy are these features:
- Declining Surcharges: While competitors can charge you the same accident surcharge every year for the three years it shows on your record, Selective charges an amount that diminishes for each of the three years.
- Loss-Free Discount: Earn discounts if you have no claims (other than comprehensive < $100) for three years (5% discount) and five years (10% discount).
- Owner/Renter Discount: Get a better rate if you own a home (insured with Selective or not) or have renters insurance.
Optional coverages that will help keep costs lower are:
- Diminishing Deductible: Cut your deductible by $100 each claim-free year.
- Accident Forgiveness: Your first accident is forgiven — plus you keep your loss-free discount after an at-fault accident.
- Replacement Cost: If your vehicle is totaled in a covered accident, we'll replace it with a new model. Choose from three different options for this.
Get coverage today. Call TCU Insurance Agency at (800) 772-8043 for a free auto insurance quote.
(Article Courtesy: Selective)