TCU Insurance
Quick Links Personal Insurance Business Insurance Life & Health Insurance Senior Products Programs

StableDo you have an old dairy barn on your premises? Did you just put up a new 30' x 40' storage garage? Are you operating a new business out of your garage? Do you board someone's horse in an outbuilding on your premises? And most importantly, do you know if your homeowners insurance provides coverage for these buildings, and if so, is that coverage enough? Sue Gerlach, a veteran personal lines underwriter with West Bend, will discuss insurance coverage for other structures.

Most homeowners policies automatically provide coverage for "Other Structures" on your premises. However, there's a limitation on the amount that would be paid if there's a loss to the structure(s). The amount covered would not be more that 10% of the limit of liability that applies to your home.

So does your policy provide enough coverage to replace your "Other Structure(s)"? If not, you can purchase additional coverage by adding the form – Other Structures-Additional Limit to your policy.

It's possible your insurance company may want to limit coverages on some structures, like an old dairy barn. In that case, the company may offer actual cash value coverage only and limit the amount it will pay for a loss. Or there may be a structure on your premises that's in poor condition. The insurance company may choose to exclude this structure from coverage until it's repaired.

So, if you have outbuilding(s) on your property, You first need to determine if your homeowner's policy will provide coverage to your outbuilding(s). Then ask yourself these questions:
  • If you use the outbuilding for business, is it a business that can be insured under your homeowner's policy or do you need a separate commercial policy?
  • Do you store business property in the "Other Structure"?v
  • If so, what type of business property is it?
  • Is there a structure on your residence premises that you rent to others for dwelling purposes? If so, you need to add a form titled – Structures Rented to Others- Residence Premises.
Do you have a personal storage structure, off your residence premises, that's not capable of being used for a dwelling? To provide coverage for this structure, you need to add a form titled – Specific Structures Away from Residence Premises.

If you have any questions or concerns about coverage for your outbuildings (Other Structures), be sure to contact your independent insurance agent. Your agent can make sure you have the appropriate coverages.

Protect your property. Call TCU Insurance Agency at (800) 772-8043 for more information on Indiana property insurance.

(Article courtesy: Scott Steuber via West Bend)
Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2020
  • 2019
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016
  • 2015
  • 2014
  • 2013

View Mobile Version
Connect With Us:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ Yelp
Latest News
Read more >
Trusted Choice TCU Insurance Agency
Corporate Office

425 Lincolnway East
Mishawaka, IN 46544

Ph: 574.256.6070
Ph: 800.772.8043
Fx: 574.252.2109
  Request A Quote
Contact Us
Auto Insurance
Home Insurance
Business Insurance
Life Insurance
Senior Products
Other Programs
Home Page
Who We Are
Our Carriers
Map & Directions
News Center
©2020 Teachers Credit UnionPowered by Insurance Website Builder