Insurance Website
800.772.8043
Quick Links Personal Insurance Business Insurance Life & Health Insurance Senior Products Programs

Extremely low temperatures are here again and we want you to be prepared. Here are some tips that can keep you and your home safe:
  1. Make sure all appliances and heating equipment, such as a furnace, water heater or stove, are inspected and operating properly, and operate all pieces of equipment according to the manufacturer's instructions.
  2. Never use stoves, ovens or outdoor grills as a source of heat.
  3. Provide adequate ventilation when using fireplaces or unvented space heaters.
  4. If you are using a fireplace, use a glass or metal fire screen large enough to catch sparks and rolling logs.
  5. If you are using a space heater, place it on a level, hard surface and keep anything flammable at least three feet away from things such as paper, clothing, bedding, curtains or rugs.
  6. Turn off space heaters and make sure fireplace embers are out before leaving the room or going to bed.  Using secondary heating sources, such as space heaters, can increase the chance of carbon monoxide poisoning.
  7. Protect your pipes - run water, even at a trickle, to help prevent your pipes from freezing. Open the kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing. Keep the garage doors closed if there are water lines in the garage. **Be sure to move any harmful cleaners and household chemicals out of the reach of children.
  8. Check your carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors to ensure they are operating properly.
Natural Gas Meter Safety

Keep natural gas meters clear of snow and ice to prevent damage and provide easy access should maintenance be needed.

Remove snow from the meter with hands or a broom. Never use a shovel, or kick or hit the meter to break away snow or ice.
If the meter is encased in ice, contact NIPSCO for assistance.

What To Do If You Smell Natural Gas

If you smell natural gas in your home, evacuate immediately. Do not operate anything that could cause a spark including lights,
cell phones, flashlights and appliances. From a safe location, call us at 1-800-464-7726 or 911.

To learn more about natural gas safety, visit www.NIPSCO.com/StaySafe.




Share |


No Comments


Post a Comment
Name
Required
E-Mail
Required (Not Displayed)
Comment
Required


All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Required
CAPTCHA
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
 
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive


View Mobile Version
Connect With Us:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ Yelp
Latest News
Read more >
Trusted Choice TCU Insurance Agency
Corporate Office

425 Lincolnway East
Mishawaka, IN 46544

Ph: 574.256.6070
Ph: 800.772.8043
Fx: 574.252.2109
  Request A Quote
Contact Us
Auto Insurance
Home Insurance
Business Insurance
Life & Health Insurance
Senior Products
Other Programs
Home Page
Who We Are
Our Carriers
Map & Directions
FAQ
News Center
Newsletters
©2017 Teachers Credit UnionPowered by Insurance Website Builder